Saturday 18 September 2010

August 8th Private Lake. Oxted Surrey

For some time I had been wondering what it would be like to have a go for the carp in this pond using carp methods rather than my normal waggler approach.

Last Sunday I thought I would give it a go. Conditions for fishing should have been good as for the previous 2 days the heavens had opened which had got rid of the high humidity.

I arrived arround 7am and was set up for the first cast around 7:30.

The swim I chose had 2 advantages - the first being the island at an angle of 45 degrees and only about 5 rod lengths out, the second a set of lily pads at 45 degrees the other way about 4 rod lengths out.


15 minutes after my first cast I realised my first mistake - the boillies I use are 10ml in size and this pond is full of small carp of less than a pound. Straight away one of them took the bait. Still I was off the mark.

My second mistake was not so obvious. When I came to feed the swims, the lily pad swim was no problem the small boiliies I could throw in quite accurately however I couldn't get them to the island swim. I decided to swop the leger for a small swimfeeder. I mixed up some brown crumb which I put in the feeder along with 3 or 4 boillies. This seemed to do the trick.

By noon I'd added 3 more small carp - there were bigger ones on the surface but none as yet were feeding.

12:15 saw the action resume with this 2lb common.


By 1pm I'd accumulated a further 2 small carp and a 2lb mirror all with a liking for tutti fruitti.

The next hour saw the pattern repeated as 2 more small carp and a 1lb'er were caught.

My continual feeding must have had some affect as in the afternoon session as the small carp disappearred and the larger stuff (over a 1lb came in).

To prove the point the next one was this nice 4lb specimen.


Next up was a 3lb'er and then at 14:50 the biggest fish of the day so far was in the net - a 5lb common who fell for a seafood boille just off the lily pads. See photo below:


The next 1 and a half hours brought 3 more 2lb commons, all from the lily pads swim on seafood. See photo below:


By 5 o'clock I'd landed 2 small commons, a 2lb common, my first mirror, my one and only tench and my best fish of the day a 6lb common.

The last 2 hours produced a further 5 carp on both tutti fruitti and seafood boillies.

Lessons learnt? Well the obvious one is that next time I go I will have to use bigger boillies so that the smaller carp can be avoided and maybe inest in a catapult!

No comments:

Post a Comment