Sunday 3 October 2010

August 29th Boulthurst Farm, Oxted, Surrey

I thought today I would give this pond an afternoon/evening session.

I turned up at 12:30.The weather was cloudy but thank god no rain. As usual it seemed I was the only one there.

I managed to get my favourite swim (see picture below) and immediately started to feed my 2 chosen lines, the first under the overhanging tree and the second the clear water about 30 yards to the right of the tree.


Under the tree I fed 10ml seafood boillies which I had been very successful with in the past in this swim. The other swim I thought I would try something different. I fed 10ml strawberry boillies (normally I use tutti fruitti ones) with the intention of using 12ml boillies on the hair. I was trying to keep the roach of the hookbait.

I cast in around 12:55. The first bite came at 13:20 but I missed it as the hooklength broke! Bt 14:50 I'd lost another 2 more. Both of which spat the hook!

At 15:00 I caught a fish on seafood but it was a bream not an expected carp. It was a good bream, the best I've ever had at this venue.


The first carp, a 2.5lb common arrived 5 minutes later, again to a seafood boillie.

Twenty minutes later the second carp turned up, this time one of 3lb which also had a liking for seafood.

The second "strawberry" line was very quiet and I was beginning to suspect that I had made a wrong choice. However at 6pm the buzzer went off and I landed a 6lb common easily the best fish of the session.



15 minutes later I lost another on seafood which spat the hook out.

The strawberry boillies struck for the last time at 18:40 when a 2lb common took a fancy to one. 

An hour later I lost another fish and that made me decide to call it a day. This session produced 5 fish with a further 5 being lost! Did the strawberry experiment work? Well it did produce the biggest fish of the day so I think at the very least it's worth another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment