Tuesday 22 March 2011

2011 2 March 14th Boulthurst Farm, Oxted, Surrey

Today was the club's last day so I thought I'd finish the season with a days carping on thier farm pond in Oxted.

I was up and ready to leave by 6:30 only to find the biggest frost for weeks waiting for me! The forecast was for 12 degrees in the afternoon so I prayed that they were right.

I got to the pond just before 7:30 to find the car park empty and the gate frozen. After some manipulation I managed to get the gate open and drove in. The beauty of this pond if that I can park the car literally 20 yards from where I was going to fish - 50 yards at the most if I get the swim at the far end.

I made my way to peg 1 and begun to set up. There was mist covering most of the pond and the overhanging tree had lost all its greenery from the last time I was there. The eidence of some poor casting was hanging down from most of the branches. A small fortunes worth I would guess.



Anyway I decided to fish one rod under the tree with small seafood flavoured boillies and one in clear water using small strawberry ones.

I cast out both rods and settled down for the wait. To ensure the correct degree of comfort I was wearing a t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece and parka with a hat! Waterpoof trousers completed the outfit!

Nothing happened for the first hour so I determined to check the baits every hour and to feed each swim with a half dozen small boillies befiore re-casting.

At noon the sun came out enough to tempt 4 carp to patrol up and down the pond! Hope for me then.

At 12:43 the buzzer finally went off and I sprung into action. At first it headed for the tree roots but I managed to stop it and turn it into the clear water. At this time the result was known and in came a nice common of 4 pound. Not a monster but on this day literally a life-saver!



I re-cast with added hope. Nothing. As the day went on the temprature dropped again and in my mind any chance of further fish with it.

I did last until 5pm but to no avail. I did spot some more carp cruising but nothing showed any interest.

So that was the end of the season at Boulthurst Farm. Highlight of the year was my near 100 pound of carp in June and the low point my one and only blank of the season in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment