Saturday 23 July 2011

2011 17 June 12th Chittenden, Edenbridge, Kent

It was Sunday afternoon again, Le Mans had finished so I decided to load the car up with my carp gear and head out to Chittenden for another afternoon and evening session.

The drive was much more relaxed as I now knew my way.

The rain had stopped for about an hour as I drove into the carpark so that was good.

On the way down I had decided to fish the opposite side of the island than I had done on my previous visit. This was assuming of course that the swim was free.

No rain was falling on my head as I unloaded the car and made my down to the lake. There were a few people scattered about but it was nowhere near full. The signs were favourable that my hoped for swim was free. As I made my way around the bank I could see that it was indeed free.

I set up roughly in the middle of the island. One rod I cast close to the island on the right hand side and the other I cast in the channel between a bed of lillies and the island.

As you can see from the photo below there was a fairly strong wind blowing down the lake which I hoped the fish would follow:

Thirty minutes after my cast the heavens opened however this tiime I came prepared! Up went the brolly and 5 minutes later I was snug as a bug.

I didn't have my notebook with me but I can remember the highlights so you'll have to bear with me.

It was around 4pm when I made my first cast. So the session lasted about 4 hours.

I didn't have to wait long for the first bite, it was on the halibut pellet and it turned out to be a 5lb common. A good promising start.

The hallibut boillies seemed to be the ones to be on as the buzzer went off a second time and in came a ******* of about 0.5lb. I'm not allowed to reveal what it was as the club wants to keep their presence a secret even though there is a picture of one on the website's front page!

The next bite proved to be the highlight of the day. Despite being quiet for over an hour I had a lot of faith in the bait that was sitting just outside of the lillies. This faith was rewarded when the buzzer went off and I found myself into a good fish. The fight lasted what seemed like an age and I was ok until it broke the surface. When I saw how big it was I began to panic big time. Nevertheless I managed eventually to land it. A 12.5lb common. A new personal best by 1.5lb! I was chuffed. My 3rd double of the year.

The rain continued as did my good fortune, the 12lb'er was followed by 1 more carp of 5lb, 2 of 6, 2 of 7 and 1 of 8 all caught on the lily pads swim.

The final hour gave me a further three carp but they were all under 3lb.

I packed up at 8pm, soaking wet but extremely happy.

Can't wait to get back there.
Some of the carp caught:






No comments:

Post a Comment