Sunday 7 April 2013

2013 03 April 5th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

Today was episode 3 of what I now call Ken's winter series!

I knew I was in for trouble when I had to battle through a snow storm to get to the tackle shop for my maggots the night before.

First mistake of the day was that I forgot that the clocks had gone forward on the previous Sunday and so when I went to load the car up at the normal time I found I struggled to see the garage padlock numbers!

Anyhow I managed to get in and load up with no further trouble.

A positive 1.5 degrees showed on the dashboard as I left my courtyard and headed towards Edenbridge. This proved to be somewhat of a false dawn as on the way down I noticed that the fields were all covered in snow.

Seemingly like clockwork, I again arrived at the fishery at 7am. Unlike my previous visit, there was no one else parked up. I wasn't a bit surprised.

With the sound of a woodpecker building his house in my ears, I unloaded my gear, packed it on the trolley and headed up the lake.

There was not much wind at this point in the day so the lake was fairly calm as you can see from the photo of my swim below:




I set up my gear in the same way as the previous two outings, the only difference being the flavor of boillie. I'd run out of monster crab so had to use strawberry instead.

After feeding my swims with maggots and boillies respectively I made my first casts at 8am on the dot. I sat back in my chair and pondered what the day had in store for me.

Well nothing as it turned out. Just like the week before, after an hour or so the early sunshine(!) was replaced by a layer of thick grey cloud which was accompanied by a very cold wind.

Undeterred by the weather and with only a few ducks for company I continued fishing throughout the morning and the lunch period. It was during this time when my day truly hit rock bottom. Believe it or not, snow began to settle on my waterproof jacket and trousers!

As the afternoon wore on even the ducks had the sense to disappear. I didn't have one indication that the fish were going to bite. The only time I had a bleep from the leger rod was because of a strong gust of wind.

I'm nothing if not stubborn so I continued to fish with the hope that maybe a small gudgeon might fancy a free maggot, however it was not to be. Reluctantly I had to admit defeat and so at 4:30 I decided to jack it in for the day. My first (and let's hope only) blank of the season.

They said it was going to be 8 degrees today.... THEY LIED!




No comments:

Post a Comment