Friday 17 May 2013

2013 07 May 3rd Silver Lake, Gabriels Farm Fishery, Edenbridge

With the Club closed down for the month of May I had to find an alternate venue for my fishing adventures. Gabriels Farm Fishery in Edenbridge was my choice today. It is one of the most attractive fisheries that I have come across and can offer some good fishing to boot.

Somewhat surprisingly the temperature read 0.5 degrees as I headed  through the countryside on the way down to Edenbridge. The fishery opens at 7am and I reached the barrier about 6:55, perfect timing. There was one angler in front of me so I knew that with 5 lakes to choose from I would get a good swim today. 

I unloaded the car and made my off to peg 1 on Silver Lake. I've had some really good sessions on this peg before so it was really an easy decision to make for my first visit of the year.

I mixed up the usual ground bait concoction and then set up my one and only rod of the day. My Shakespeare 12' match rod. I was still using pretty light tackle. Four pound main line to a size 18 hook. I then attempted to plumb the depth. I soon discovered that my original chosen line contained a submerged lily pad bed which had yet to rise to the surface. I had to move my projected line 2 metres or so to the left to find a snag free bottom.




I made my first cast just before 8am. For hook bait I started on single maggot. The float barely touched the surface before it disappeared and I was into my first roach of the day. 

Another roach and a skimmer bream accompanied the roach into the virtual net by the end of the first hour, however the highlight of that hour was a 1.5lb common carp with a taste for maggots.

A good start and with the carp around I decided to change hook bait and go for the sweetcorn. Disaster, not a sniff for an entire hour so it was back to the maggots.

At 10am I went back on the maggot and the action resumed. It was almost a fish a chuck but not quite as 8 roach, 1 perch, 2 gudgeon and another skimmer made the net.

At this stage of the day I made the decision to alternate on an hourly basis between maggot and corn. So on went a piece of corn. I sat back and waited. Imagine my surprise when the float went and in came a perch of about 3/4lb! To complete the hour a 3lb common carp also with a liking for corn came in.



Another hour another change of bait, this time back to the maggot. Yet again it seemed like a fish a chuck although they were a lot smaller than the ones on corn. I managed 12 roach, 4 perch and a solitary gudgeon.

Lunchtime arrived, sadly only for me as just 2 roach fell to my corn bait. As well as changing bait every hour I was also throwing in a large ball of ground bait to keep whatever was about interested.

Business as usual for the next hour when I switched back to maggot although this time the perch really made it onto the scene, 7 roach, 6 perch and a gudgeon all fell victim to the little grub. It was now 3pm and so I decided to retire the maggots for the day.

I had one last go on the corn before I started using meat. The result was 1 roach and a 2lb carp.

For the next 90 minutes I used meat as the hook bait. I loose fed the swim corn and maggots in an attempt to draw the larger fish in. I was only fishing about a rod lengths distance from the bank. In that time I had 9 carp between 2 and 3 pounds. They went absolutely wild. Each one was a fight as I was only using 4lb line and my match rod.




A great finish to a brilliant day. I ended up with a total of 62 fish. I shall be back at some point in the season.

Man v Fish

One of the carp decided at the last minute to get itself snagged up on an underwater lily pad weed bed. For the life of me I could not get it out. Right side pressure, left side pressure and straight up pressure could not shift it. I was thinking it was all over when it occurred to me that if I slackened of the line it might come out. So I put the rod on the rest and watched the float. Sure enough less than a minute later the float moved and out it came. A short time later it was in the net. Man wins battle of wits with fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment