Wednesday 11 September 2013

2013 22 August 7th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge, Kent

Today or to be accurate this afternoon I decided to have another crack at getting peg 3 at the club's premier fishery, Nursery Fields.

I took a leisurely drive through the Kent/Surrey countryside before arriving at the fishery around 14:30. The car park had cars in but wasn't busy. At first glance the bottom of the lake where peg 3 is looked full but I decided to check it out anyway.

After the short walk to the lake I could plainly see that peg 3 was free. My luck was in, albeit at the third attempt. I had anglers either side of me but hey you can't have everything in this life.

Usual set up for Nursery Fields today, one waggler rod and another feeder rod. This time with a small feeder rather than a small leger. 

I mixed a healthy amount of ground bait containing brown crumb, sweetcorn, maggots, meat and some small halibut pellets. I threw a couple of large balls in by the pads where I intended to fish. Almost immediately I saw signs of fish activity. A positive sign indeed.


I made my first casts at 15:30 and then retreated to my comfy chair to await the start of the action. Well, I waited and waited but despite all the obvious fish activity in the swim I could only land a solitary tench. The feeder rod also chipped in with one small tench.

I switched to meat for the next hour but didn't fare any better. It was getting very frustrating. Only one tench made the virtual net! Two bream was the contribution from the feeder rod this time.

Another change of hook bait followed, this time I went for bread. It was successful in the sense that it doubled the take of the previous hour (2) and it did attract another species, bream. The feeder rod was quiet for the entire hour. 

I was well into the evening session now and things were not looking too great. I switched back to meat and was rewarded with another tench. The feeder rod had got into a tangle so taking the time into consideration I decided to retire it for the session. 

On peg three there is a tree on the left hand side which has it's roots partially overhanging the water. I took the decision to place a few pieces of meat there and then gently lower my float on top of them. Less than a minute later the float shot away and I was in. This was no tench. Eventually it came to the surface and then my net where it revealed itself to be a 3lb common!

I fished without success for another 20 minutes or so in my original swim before I decided to have another go under the tree. Sure enough the same thing happened only this time this fish ploughed off towards the lilys on the far bank. I couldn't let it get there so I started to tighten the clutch. It still kept going until finally it broke the hook length. I was gutted.

That was it for me, the final straw as they say. As I packed up I reflected on the fact that I had thought the swim looked very fishy but in reality it was a bit of a letdown. Was it a bad swim, an off day or my skills that were to blame. I don't know but I will try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment