Saturday 25 April 2015

2015 07 April 17th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

After the relative disappointment of last week's visit to Chittenden I decided today to return to my favorite swim at the club's mixed fishery at Nursery Fields.

As usual I arrived at the fishery at 7 am. This time I was the first there. I loaded the trolley and headed up the lake towards my chosen swim. At this stage there was no wind, the water was as calm as a millpond.

I set up my usual float and feeder rods. Today's flavored boillie was going to be tutti fruitti. I was ready to make my first casts at 8 am.


I started with single maggot on the float rod. I'd seen signs of small fish in the swim almost immediately after I groundbaited the area so I wasn't surprised to be into the small roach straight away.

I caught seven of them in the first hour. Surprisingly and surely a good omen for the day I also nabbed a couple of the pond's tench on corn late on in the hour. Highlight of the first hour was this crusian of 1.25 lb caught on the feeder rod.



I decided to stay on the corn which slowed the catch rate a bit however I still managed a roach, a couple of bream and two more crucians. The feeder rod waded in with the day's only barbel and another tench.

The wind had now picked up and was blowing in from my left. It was making bite detection more difficult and it also affected my casting. I still managed to catch a tench and bream on the float rod and another tench on the feeder in the next hour.

The next hour brought an even split, two fish from each rod. A roach and tench from the float rod and two tench from the feeder rod. That tutti fruitti flavor was proving a winner!

As is normal for Nursery Fields the swim started to die late morning early lunchtime. It only yielded a tench. The feeder rod was still producing though, another two tench made the net.

By two in the afternoon I began to suspect that I should have changed baits to either pellets or maggots as the swim appeared to be dead. Only two bream made the net in the previous hour. The feeder rod was still producing tench, another two of them.

Aside from a solitary tench on the feeder rod the next sixty minutes were barren. The wind was now quite strong and I was starting to get cold.

I'd been feeding the reed bed to my right all day long and at 16:00 I decided to switch my attention to that swim. Between  then and 18:00 when I eventually packed up I caught fifteen fish, ten were roach and five were tench. The last fish of the day was a small bream on the feeder rod.

As the day came to a close I'd caught 49 fish. Twenty of them tench ranging from just under two pounds down to three or four ounces. It was a shame that none of the pond's carp showed but it didn't spoil the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment