Monday 28 March 2016

2016 02 March 20th Chittenden, Edenbridge

My second trip of the year was to the club's carp lake at Chittenden, just outside Edenbridge in Kent.

I was up at 5:45 am. The view, in what light there was, from the window said to me that today was going to be a chilly one. Still it's March so can't expect miracles.

When I arrived at the car park there was one other brave soul there. I scanned the lake but couldn't see where he was set up even though at this time of the year the trees were bare and I could almost see the entire lake.

I unloaded the car and made my way down the path to the bottom end of the lake. As I rounded the slight dog leg I couldn't see anyone o at least for the start of the day I would have the section to myself.

Today's set up was as follows, a Shimano float rod, 6 lb main line to a size 18 hook with a 3 lb hook length. Light enough for the bream and strong enough for any reasonable size carp that came along.


I fed the swim with a couple of big balls of ground bait along with some free offerrings of hemp, maggots, corn and pellets. I intended to start with a single maggot on the hook.

I was set up and ready to make my first cast at 7:40. After about 30 minutes my hook got stuck on a reed. I went down the bank to free it and as I was leaning over the bank gave way and my left leg went in. Luckily I fell on my backside so no more of my body went in!

Lucky for me I don't drive in my fishing boots so I went back to the car to take off my boot and sock and put a trainer on. So for the rest of the day I had a trainer with no sock on my left foot and a boot and sock on my right - charming.

I did notice that in the 2 hours or so since I arrived quite a few more cars had turned up. "Hardy souls" I thought to myself.

When I returned to my swim and resumed fishing I could quite clearly hear their chatter. It turns outs it was a match! I was a bit worried that they would come and throw me out but luckily that never happened.

There wasn't a great deal of action in the first two hours. The bream hadn't shown up yet but the small roach had, three of them to be exact.

The next hour yielded just another small roach. By now I was also fishing a feeder line using maize as the bait. There was no action on that either.

As the maggots were not working I thought for the next hour or so I would try corn and bread. Alas I was no more successful with them and it was cold!

I had to wait until 15:00 hours before I had another bite, it was no surprise that it was another small roach. You don't normally see these during the summer months. I suppose the bigger fish bully them away.

That was it for the day, five small roach, a soaking wet foot and a freezing body. I called it a day at 16:30 and when I got back to the car I was the only one left. That told me that no one could have been doing all that great,

No comments:

Post a Comment