Saturday 15 April 2017

2017 2 March 24th Chittenden, Edenbridge, Kent

For my second outing of the season I decided to visit the club's carp lake at Chittenden, near Edenbridge in Kent.

Driving down to the venue I noticed that it was very much colder (6 degrees) than the previous week. The good news was that there was an absence of wind. How would this affect the fishing?

I arrived at the fishery just after 7am to find just one other car in the car park. The weather was obviously putting  people off.

I unloaded the car and made my way down to the bottom end of the lake.

Today I was going to start with one float rod and then introduce a feeder rod later on. My initial set up was 6lb main line, size 18 hook and single maggot as the hook bait. I fed the swim with hemp, pellets, maggots and corn as I was setting up.


I was ready to make my first cast at 8am. At this time of year I didn't know what to expect from the day so I was full of positive anticipation as I sat back in my chair to wait for the action to begin.

By the end of the first hour I had caught fish, the only problem was they were very small bream and roach, Still it was better than no action.

The next hour was pretty much the same as the previous one except that the three fish were all small rudd.

By 11:35 the small fish had kept coming in on the maggot. One rudd, one bream and five roach to be exact. Total for the day was now 13.

About 11:45 I made two changes to my tactics, the first was to switch hook bait from maggots to corn, The second was to start fishing a small bomb on the feeder rod with 10mm tutti fruitti boillies as the bait.

By 12:20 my plan seemed to have worked. On the float rod I'd caught 2 bream both bigger than the ones I was getting on maggot (the largest being about a pound) and on the feeder rod I'd landed this 7.5 lb carp. Things were looking up.



The next two hours were slow but rewarding. On the float rod I'd added another bream to the virtual net. On the feeder however I'd caught my first double of the year, a 12 lb 12 oz specimen, I was a happy little bunny.


By 15:30 the feeder rod had delivered another fish, Not a carp but a bream of about 2lb. My biggest of the year so far.


Just after 4pm, as I was starting to have thoughts about packing up, the feeder rod went off again and I was into another good carp (for me that is). This was my second double of the season although not quite as big as the previous one it did weigh 11 lb 2 oz.


It was at this point that I decided to call it a day. Twenty fish caught including two doubles. I can't complain about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment