Saturday 5 September 2009

July 31st - Boulthust Farm, Nr Limpsfield Surrey

This trip was my first using my newly aquired carp gear.

I have been accumulating the equipment over the previous year. None of it was expensive as I tend to learn how to do something first before I actually spend loads of cash on expensive equipment.

Here's a picture of my set up.


The two rods are about 15 years old, one is 1.75lb test curve and the other a 2.25 lb. The carp in this pond grow to low doubles however 7lb is my best so I thought the rods would be up to it.


The reels are, an Omni RX35M costing around a tenner last year and the other is a Daiwa BR2650 which is about 15 years old!

The rod pod I brought from Trev's Tackle for a tenner. The buzzers were free with the Angling Times.

Going for the simple solution I decided to use ready tyed hooks to nylon with a hair. I opted for a size 14 hook to start with as this was the size I normally use when free-lining at the pond.

Now for the boilies - my first mistake. As I have never used either a boilie or a hair rig I went for the easy option - self drilled. Not a major mistake you might say well in 6mm it was! A trip to the tackle shop and that was sorted - 10mm, the flavour tutti fruitti.

I then came unstuck as I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to use the Korum Quick Stops. After a while of fruitless effort I put pride to one side and approached the only other angler on the pond for help. He showed me that I needed a special needle to do it and as luck would have it I got one free with the 6mm boilies! Anyway I finally got one attached.

Now for the fishing - I threw a few free offerings into both swims and cast out.

15 minutes later the buzzer went off and a nice 2 pounder was in the net. The session was fairly succesful as I managed to bag 5 carp, the biggest was about 4 pound.

Now for my second 'carp' session which technically should be better than the first.

Tight Lines














No comments:

Post a Comment