Thursday 1 October 2009

5th August Boulthurst Farm, Limpsfield, Surrey

My last few trips to Boulthurst I'd been targetting the carp either by free-lining on the quiver tip or using the buzzers and boillies however today I decided to see what I could catch using 'conventional' float tactics.
The swim I selected was right by the entrance (there are only 5 swims) and is the only one with a set of lily pads to fish to (See picture below).
The plan of attack for the day was to fish on the far side of the lilys for the roach and crucians whilst feeding the margin swim between the lillies and the bank for any patrolling carp.

For bait I'd taken the usual suspects - maggots, bread, sweetcorn and meat for the hook plus brown crumb, carp/tench attractor and hemp for groundbait.

For the first hour I used flavoured sweetcorn but never had a bite although I could tell from the float movement that there were fish there. Also during that first hour I fed the margin swim with three of four pieces of corn every cast. I had an initial go in there but nothing showed any interest.

I fed more groundbait and switched hookbait to maggot, which to be fair got me fish but they were all small roach. I was however searching for something a little bigger. Another switch, this time to bread and away we went. I had, for about 30 minutes a crucian a cast! Lovely.

As the second hour drew to a close, I tried the margin swim again and managed to land this common carp.

The margins went quiet for the next 6 hours although I did continue to feed the line. The lily pads swim was still producing roach and some nice crusians, bread still being the bait of choice.


I still continued to test the margins through the quiet spell and eventually something arrived and took the bait, this very nice common carp:

Another hour and a half of silver fish followed before the margins swim produced this common:

The most memorable thing about the day was the debut of my new box. As stated before, I'd taken a 15 year break from fishing and since returning I have had to replace some, if not all of my previous equipment. My birthday was in February and I'd been promised a new box. It finally arrived at the end of July - see photo below:

Oh the increase in comfort, absolutely bliss for a man of my age.

Eleven hours after arriving at the swim I landed this final carp of the day again from the margins!


What a day - one of my best at the venue. I must have caught in excess of 70 fish. Roach, Rudd and Crucian Carp mainly but topped off with some larger carp all through the day from the margins.

Till the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment