Sunday 10 April 2011

2011 4 March 23rd Mill Lake, Stubpond, Felbridge Surrey

After the rain last time I was out I was hoping for better weather today. The forecast was for 18 degrees, almost summer specials!

I awoke to find a slightly misty start to the day. After the success of my previous trip I was eager to get down to the fishery and get started.

I suppose it must have been about 7:25 when I arrived at the fishery to find the gates open and cars in the car park! I was not alone.

Lucky for me they had all made thier way to either Plantation or Forge, the match and specimen lakes. I was left to fish Mill Lake all on my lonesome.

The lake was dead calm and looking around I definitely had a 'feel good' factor.



I quickly set up, 12' float rod, 4lb main line to a 3lb hooklength on a size 18 hook. Bait today was the same as my previous visit: Maggots, Hemp, Groundbait, Corn and Bread. I had no castors as the previous maggots hadn't tuned yet!

Out went the float and within a few minutes in came the first roach of the day. Things were looking good.

For those who have never fished Mill Lake I feel I must mention the weed problem. In a few weeks time the lake will be covered in lily pads however that is not the real problem. Pond weed is, you know the stuff that grows in strands beneath the surface. Well today was one of those days that was ruined by the weed. Whenever the float went under I was never sure whether it was a bite or the weed. Lucky for me the weed came straight out so I didn't actually lose any tackle. However it did make the day somewhat frustrating.

So much so that around lunchtime I decided to switch to a straight bomb and use my new feeder rod. Mainline was 6lb with a size 14 hook on a 4lb hooklength. I used small strawberry boillies.

I decided to fish down the middle channel to see if I could avoid the week. I put in about a half dozen boillies with the view to feeding each hour or whenever I caught a fish.

Forty Five minutes later the tip went round for the first time ever and in came the first carp of the day.

Here's how the day broke down:

TimeFishBaitWeight
8:297 Roach
3 Skimmers
Maggot
8:575 Roach
5 Skimmers
Maggot
11:157 Roach
Skimmer
Perch
Carp
Maggot
Strawberry boillie for the carp
4lb
11:468 Roach
Carp
Crucian Carp
Maggot
Strawberry boillie
Bread
12:4410 RoachMaggot
13:29Carp
Strawberry boillie
2lb
14:50Tench
Perch
Skimmers
Roach
Carp
All on maggots except the carp which was on corn
2lb
15:22CarpStrawberry boillie
4lb
16:11CarpStrawberry boillie5lb

Upwards of 60 fish so not a bad day at all. I was to be honest expecting better things but then if it always went to plan it would get very boring!

Here are some examples of the fish caught.

Mirror Carp


Another Mirror



Crucian Carp Hybrid


No comments:

Post a Comment