Sunday 17 April 2011

2011 6 April 2nd Silver Lake, Gabriels Fishery, Edenbridge Kent

This trip was my first visit to the fishery of the season.

Our club has a concession here, £2 instead of the usual £8. This was my first chance to use it.

I arrived at the fishery at 7:05 to find 3 cars in the car park. No fighting over swims today then. As I entered the lake area from the car park I saw that they were all bivvy boys on the specimen lake so I had the pick of the swims on Silver Lake.

I knew the deeper water was at the end by the car park and as I thought it was too early in the year to try the shallow area I chose peg 1. This swim faces straight up the lake, with the island to the left and a set of rushes to the right in the corner. All bases covered.



The contre line straight down the lake about two rod lengths out was my preferred starting point. I groundbaited the swim in the normal way. For setup I used 4lb line, 3BB waggler and a size 18 hook. Initial hook bait was maggot.

Surprisingly nothing showed an interest. I fed a few each cast and I did get the feeling that there were some roach albeit small ones to be had. I gave it 30 minutes or so but couldn't get a decent bite. I switched to corn on the hook to see if that would change my fortune.

I didn't have to wait long for a bite though. The float shot away, the rod bent over and in came a skimmer bream of about a pound. Corn was to be the bait of choice today so I relegated the maggots to feed status. An hour or so later a second bream arrived.

"I'm in here" I thought as the float disappearred for the third time, However it wasn't a bream but a carp of about 2 or 3 ounces.

For the rest of the morning sport was slow. Derek the bailiff came round and said that everyone was saying that the fishing was slow. At least I thought it wasn't just me. I manage in that time 3 gudgeon and 2 roach  (on maggot) and 2 3lb carp on bread. The second of which came from the reed bed about 2 feet out!

After I finished my gourmet lunch (mini savoury eggs and a sausage roll) the fishing began to pick up.

The sweetcorn started to work as at 13:38 I had one of 3lb followed an hour later by one of 5lb.

The sweetcorn was working in my original however I did not ignore the reed bed. I was steadily feeding small pieces of bread and then having a look every hour or so. I was rewarded at 15:15 with a 3lb common.

Another hour of relative quiet followed before I got a good bend in the rod which I took to be a small carp only to discover that it was a fair size perch with a liking for corn.

The margins produced again half an hour later when a 3lb mirror was tempted by a large piece of bread flake.

Proving that bread isn't just for carp I then landed another skimmer of about a pound.

It was nearing 5pm so began to think about packing up for the day. Although the fishing had been slow I had enjoyed the day which is the point of it all.

So I began the process of packing when a dad and his son came round and we started to chat about the fishing. When he mentioned that he was a member of Holland AS I remembered speaking to him at Boulthurst Farm last season! Anyway as we chatting the float disappearred and his little boy saw me land a 2lb carp.

That was it for the day.

TimeFishBaitWeight
8:39BreamSweetcorn1lb
9:33BreamSweetcorn
1lb
9:43CarpSweetcorn
2oz!
13:003 Gudgeon
2 Roach
2 Carp
Roach and Gudgeon on maggot, Carp on bread
3lb
13:38Carp Sweetcorn
3lb
14:44Carp
Sweetcorn
5lb
13:423 Carp
Gudgeon
7 Roach/Rudd
2 of the carp on strawberry boillies, the other on corn. The remainder on maggot.
4lb and 4.5lb
16:4510 CarpAll on strawberry boillies6lb
5.5lb
5lb
4lb

Here are some of the fish:

Common Carp


Common Carp - The biggest of the day



No comments:

Post a Comment