Saturday 30 June 2012

2012 16 June 24th Christmas Mill, Edenbridge, Kent

Having fished the previous afternoon and evening I couldn't get up as early as I wished for my second trip to this club water. Even so I was out of the house and on my way at 6:30.

Much to my dismay the rain had arrived with a vengeance the night before and it was still coming down hard as I went down the semi flooded lanes.

Christmas Mill only has five swims and of those only one of them has lily pads close enough to make waggler fishing possible. This was the swim I fished on my last visit and was the one I planned to fish today.

When I arrived at the postage stamp size car park I was dismayed to find another car there. I feared the worst. Dejectedly I made my way to the lake through the water soaked woods until I arrived at our swims. My fears were confirmed when I found the swim I wanted occupied by none other than Keith who I met on a recent outing to Broxham. Incidentally on that occasion Bill and the aforementioned Keith had also nicked my swim that day! I think they should be suspended from the club!

In the end I chose the second of the five swims with the intention of fishing around 2 rod lengths out in clear water. At least it was a plan of sorts.



I set my waggler rod up with a 3bb float, 5lb main line and a size 18 with a 3lb hook length. My intention was to target the tench and bream.

After setting up the rod I ground baited the swim in my normal way and then set up my chair, box, bait, tackle bits and pieces and most importantly the umbrella as it was still raining hard. Once done I picked my rod up only to discover that when laying it down some line had got caught up in a tree. I did sort it out but the result was that I found my terminal tackle was so knotted that I would have to set up again! After I cut the line and was ready to start again I pulled the line to get some off the spool. The line did not come off easily and the rod bent round so much that it snapped making it three breaks in three years! I investigated and found that the line had snagged around one of the several logs on the bank.

As I set up my spare rod I began to suspect that today wasn't going to be my day.

I was still somewhat upset when I finally made my first cast of the day at 8:30! I started with corn on the hook as I wanted to avoid the very small fish that I knew would almost certainly take a maggot.

Almost immediately the float went under and I was into a fish however I missed it. Buoyed by the fact that something took the corn I tried again. This time I was successful and in came a roach of about 3 ounces. This was quickly followed by another.

With the rain still coming down heavily the swim then died. For the rest of the morning I persevered with the corn but was totally unsuccessful. As a confidence booster before I had my lunch I went on single maggot and caught 5 rudd, 2 roach a little perch.


After lunch the rain stopped being persistent and went into sporadic mode. I have to say it still felt chilly except on the few occasions when the sun came out.

The afternoon session followed the same pattern as the morning one. The going was very dire. There was no sign of any decent fish activity in my swim. Elsewhere on the lake I could see fishing jumping.

I carried on with the bigger baits, corn, bread and meat but apart from the occasional tickle from smaller fish nothing showed.

By four in the afternoon Keith had called it a day and left to watch the football. I decided to have another dabble with the maggots and 'pulled' in another five minutae roach and rudd before I too called it a day at 18:00.

I will go back but only if Botany bay is free.

Wildlife Update:

During the afternoon I heard a rustle at my feet and looked down to see a mouse run up to my corn and with two paws on the edge of the box lean over and make off with a piece. A few minutes later he came back and did the same with the strawberry flavoured variety. He repeated this several times before in fear that would have none left if it continued I complained and he disappearred! Absolutely amazing episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment