Friday 25 July 2014

2014 17 July 6th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge, Kent

July rolls in and it's another chance for me to fish the club's excellent Nursery Fields fishery.

I arrived at the fishery at around 7:30 to find the car park surprisingly empty. The reason for this was that there was a junior match scheduled for that day and also there was torrential rain pouring on my head! The good news was that they were only going to use the pegs on the near side of the lake so I really wasn't affected at all as I always go down the back stretch.

I selected a swim with some lily pads which I could fish a waggler to and some lily pads on the far bank which I could fish the ledger set up to.


Today I was going to use small strawberry boillies in a PVA bag with a larger one on a size 14 hook to 6 lb main line. The waggler set up would be my standard 5 lb main line to a size 16 hook.

I made my first casts at 7:30 and then settled down for the day's action to begin. On the waggler I started on corn. The first hour resulted in two bream and the obligatory small roach. The strawberry boillies were also proving popular as I also bagged a nice common carp.


For the second hour I switched waggler hook bait to small hookable halibut pellets. I was rewarded with 2 more small roach.

Today I decided that I would concentrate on using nothing but hookable pellets, the small variety already mentioned and the larger ones which I cut down so that I effectively had three sizes to use.

The action certainly was not fast and furious and as the day wore on, the time was now 14:45, I began to doubt my tactics. I was feeding 3 or 4 pellets every cast along with a ball of ground bait every hour. The result was a disappointing 2 roach.

I did manage to get another common carp on the feeder. It was a good one weighing in at 7 lb 2 oz.


The next 90 minutes was much the same, 1 small roach on the pellets and a mirror carp on the feeder. The carp came in at 7 lb exactly.


In the last hour or so the pellets started working on another species other than roach as I caught three barbel!

The final fish of the day was a tench with a liking for strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment