Sunday 3 August 2014

2014 18 July 11th Chittenden, Edenbridge

Another midweek trip to the club's carp lake at Chittenden.

I was up at 5 am and out on the road by 5:45. Everything was going smoothly until I approached the gate at Nursery Fields! Oops wrong place! I turned the car round and somewhat red faced headed back towards Chittenden.

When I finally arrived, there was one other car in the parking area. I could see that the owner was situated on the far side of the first island. In terms of the weather it was just beginning to spit with rain.

I unloaded the car and made my way down to the bottom of the lake. As I made my way down the rain began to get noticeably harder.

Setting up in the rain is not much fun however as I had no choice so I got on with it. I was ready to make my first casts at around 7:30.



By the time I starting fishing the rain was really coming down so even with the umbrella up it was very difficult to write notes for this report and keep the notebook dry. I decided therefore to just keep a tally of the total fish caught for the day and how many of them were carp.

As regards setup I made a decision at the end of my last session at Chittenden that I would use 6 lb main line and size 14 hooks on the waggler set up to lessen the chances of losing good fish.

Corn was my initial bait of choice on the waggler and 15 mm strawberry boillies were my choice for the feeder rod.

The corn attracted the bream very quickly which I took to be a good sign. They were all in the range 0.5 lb to 2 lb which for me was very good.

After a couple of hours the bream seemed to disappear so I decided to change to halibut hook able pellets.

This change seemed to work well as I managed to catch my best carp of the day and a double at that (10 lb 2 oz).

This mirror was caught at 9:15.


This one was caught at 10.06.


This one was caught at 10:42.


This one was caught at 18:12.


There was a let up in the weather around 3 pm which to be honest saved me from packing up at 4 pm. I stayed till 6:30 pm in the end. However despite the respite in the weather I was still cold, dirty, wet and miserable.

By the time I finally packed up I'd caught 37 fish of which 17 were carp and the other 20 were bream.

Aside from the weather I'd had a good day. My plan to beef up my terminal tackle worked as I only lost 2 or 3 fish during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment