Saturday 13 September 2014

2014 24 August 22nd Swallow Lake,Gabriels Fishery, Edenbridge

Today to spice things up I decided to fish a whole session using banded pellets. Nothing unusual in that you might think however I'd never tried this method before so it was a bit of a challenge to see how I coped.

I decided to go to Swallow Lake at Gabriels Fishery as this is a pond full of small carp and where I can almost guarantee bites.
s
I arrived at the fishery about 10 minutes before opening time and as had happened on my last few visits the gate was open. I made the mile or so drive to the lake seeing nothing but rabbits! On arrival at the car park I discovered one other car there but never saw the occupant all day so he must have been on another lake.

The swim I chose today was right at the back of the pond. I'd never fished it before so didn't have any idea of the depth or snags present etc, It was quite close to the island so that was good.


My first problem arose when I tried to get the pellet in the band. It quickly become apparent that I needed some fingernails! I put my thinking cap on and in the end I used my forceps to hook the band and then I put the pellet in and and slid the band off the forceps. Job done!

I fed the swim and made my first cast around 7:30.

I had to wait all of ten minutes before the float went and I was into my first fish on banded pellets! The culprit a small carp of about half a pound. I unhooked the fish and found the pellet still banded, result!

By 8:30 I'd caught four of the little critters. My confidence in the method was increasing. Could I keep it up for the whole session? Here's the biggest of the four:



The next hour was even better than the first as the loose fed pellets were obviously having an effect. I took another seven of the small carp to make my running total eleven for the day.

The next hour and the catch rate increased again! This time I caught nine of the little blighters. First time on the banded pellet and I was at 20 with only three hours gone.

The fourth hour's rate dropped slightly as I only managed seven carp. I put this down to the fact that it started to spit with rain so I had to go back to the car for my waterproof jacket. Here's the best of the seven:


By the time I'd caught another eight carp it was 12:30 and time to start thinking of a quick lunch break. Today I had mini sausage rolls and a scotch egg. Lovely.

After lunch I had a quick attempt at using corn with a band but couldn't work out how to use it so it was back to the pellets. Seven more fell to this tempting bait.

The next hour brought seven more carp including my best of the day, a 5 lb 2 oz 'specimen'! This was my best ever carp from this pond so the pellets were really working for me.


Between 14:30 and 15:30 was my most productive hour in terms of the number of fish caught. Eleven of the small carp made the virtual net.

It couldn't last as in the next hour the catch rate dropped to six! I suppose they must have been getting full!

The rate continued to drop by 17:30 when I decided to pack up I had only caught one!

I was really pleased with myself, 67 fish, all carp on an untried method, albeit on an easy pond. I shall try it again.


















No comments:

Post a Comment