Friday 11 September 2015

2015 17 June 29th, Boulthurst Farm, Oxted. Surrey

Today I decided to take myself back to one of my old favorite venues, the Holland A.S. controlled small pond at Boulthurst Farm in Oxted, Surrey.

Today's target was not the carp that everyone goes for but the crucians. Could I get one and if so could I get a good sized one?

When I arrived at the small car park (there are only 5 swims on this pond) I was glad to see no one else there. Choice of swim was therefore all mine. There is only one swim with lily pads to fish to and it was this one that I chose.


I was set up and ready to make my first cast at 7:05. For bait I started on single maggot. Immediately I could see fish activity in the swim. It was however only the usual small roach, I caught two of them in the first hour.

It seemed to me that if I stayed on maggot I would always be bothered by these small roach so for the next hour I switched to corn. The result was another roach albeit slightly bigger than the previous two and the first small skimmer bream of the session.

I used the same tactics for the next hour however my reward was less, just the skimmer bream. Perhaps it was the heat. Today felt like it was going to be a really hot one.

Due to the slow going I set up a feeder rod, baited a swim with maize and cast that out. By noon I'd only added another four fish, three roach and a skimmer bream. I think the extreme heat was affecting the fishing.

For the next three hours I decided I would try small cubes of meat. I did get five fish, four roach and a carp but not the crucians I was looking for.

The next two hours was just the same, blazing heat and next to no fish. One small roach and that was it.

Just before I packed up, the feeder rod's tip went round and I was into a carp. They like maize here apparently.


Sorry about the photo, I had to use my phone as my camera has broke.

I decided at point to call it a day. Sixteen fish in the day wasn't what I was expecting. I think the sun and the heat had beaten me on this occasion.




No comments:

Post a Comment