Tuesday 15 September 2015

2015 18 July 19th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

After my somewhat unsuccessful trip to Boulthurst farm a couple of weeks back, I decided today to return to the club's mixed fishery at Nursery Fields.

For a change today's main bait tactic was the small (6 ml) halibut pellet banded on a size 18 hook. I would still use a feeder rod with maize as the bait as back up in case the pellets failed. 

I was up at 5 am and out of the house around 5:45. The drive was uneventful despite the rain! I wasn't looking forward to setting up in the wet.

I arrived at the venue at around 6:15. I loaded up my trolley and headed off round the back of the lake.


The rain was still coming down as I set up my Shimano float rod and my Maver feeder rod. It generally takes 45 minutes to an hour to set up which includes, mixing the ground bait, setting up the two rods, plumbing the depth, feeding the swims and organizing the peg so that everything is to hand.

With the pellet safely banded on the hair I made my first cast at 7:13. The first hour passed without any action. It wasn't until nearly 9 am that the float finally dipped and I was into a fish. The result a skimmer bream of about a pound.


The going was tough, I began to doubt whether or not my choice of tactics for the day was correct as first one hour passed and then another without a bite. It wasn't until 11:49 that the float went away again and I was into another skimmer bream.

After another two hours of inactivity I put a piece of corn on the hook and was rewarded with another skimmer. It was now just after two in the afternoon and I'd only caught three skimmer bream. Oh dear.

The pattern was now fully established as I had to wait until nearly 16:00 before I was into another fish. This one was taken on the pellet and was indeed another bream however the good thing was that it weighed 2 lb 13 oz very nice.


At 16:31 I caught my first tench on pellets. So that was something to be proud of!

For the last 90 minutes of the session I decided to fish down the margin using cubes of meat. This was fairly successful as I caught three fish of differing species: a bream, a tench and a barbel. None of them unfortunately were of any size.

That's was it for the day. eight fish caught, none on the feeder rod, half on the pellets. Was it my tactics or something else? I shall have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment