Thursday 22 October 2015

2015 22 August 14th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

Although I'd had a really good session the previous week at Chittenden I felt I hadn't really cracked it at Nursery Fields this season, so today I made the decision to try and put that right.

I arrived at the lake at about 6:20, by now you'll know that I always arrive at this time in the summer months - creature of habit or what!

I unloaded the car and set off for the far side of the lake where, in my opinion all the best swims are and (by and large) there are less people.




Same approach as normal again today, one waggler rod swim by the lily pads and a sleeper feeder rod into a swim baited heavily with maize.

I made my first casts at 7:20 and then sat back and waited for the action to begin. For the waggler rod I started with corn as the hook bait.

The first hour wasn't very productive just the one bream however there were signs of fish in the swim so I remained hopeful.



The next hour was pretty barren to. I'd switched to meat to see if that could generate any interest but alas, no, all the swim gave up was a small rudd!

I was back on the corn for the third hour, the result, a bream of around 2 lb and a small roach. I'd doubled my total!

Another switch to meat brought my first tench of the day as the time reached 11:20. I also got my first carp on the feeder rod, although it only weighed about 1.5 lb.

Nothing on the waggler during the next sixty minutes however the feeder rod chipped in with a bream that was about 3 lb and a tench.



Lunchtime brought one fish from each swim, a 2 lb carp from the feeder and a bream from the waggler. Quiet but steady if you get my meaning.

I was back on the corn for another hour. The result was a rudd and strangely a small perch! It upped the species count if nothing else.

The afternoon session, especially the early part was very quiet although towards 16:00 it did pick up. The waggler produced a bream of 2 lb and the feeder rod produced another tench and a brilliant carp of 9 lb 14 oz.Just a few ounces short of being a double! I was made up.



The next hour was my best of the day, a roach and a rudd on corn and a nice tench on meat was the waggler rod's contribution and a two tench, another carp was the feeder rod's. Six fish in a hour at Nursery Fields a miracle by this season's standards.

By the time I packed up at 18:40 I'd added a further three fish to my day's total. Two carp on the waggler using meat and a bream on the feeder rod.

So by my calculation that makes the day's total 24. I'd call that a success in anyones book.

1 comment: