Monday 19 March 2018

2018 2 March 12th, Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

Today was my first visit of the season to the club's mixed fishery at Nursery Field, near Edenbridge in Kent.

I arrived at the fishery about 8:15 to find the car park empty. I wasn't surprised as it was a bit chilly and there was rain in the air.

I unloaded the car and made my way up the lake towards my intended swim which was at the end of the island.

Two rod attack today, the first a waggler fished three quarters of the way across on the match rod and a small leger on the feeder rod fished tight to the island.


I was set up and ready to make my first cast at 9:15. First out was the feeder rod. The leger landing about 2 feet from the island, good enough for me. I had fired some maggots into the intended waggler swim while I was setting up.

I cast the float out and within a couple of minutes the float went under and the rod bent! I wasn't expecting this. The fish then took line, I definitely wasn't expecting that. The culprit was a carp of about 4lb with a liking for a single maggot on a size 20 hook.



The first hour was completed by the following, all caught on single maggot: 1 perch, 1 Ide, 1 crucian and 2 roach. A satisfying start to the day.

During the next hour the rain came in a big way to such an extent that I had to cocoon myself under the brolly. The fish must have liked it as much as me because I only caught one roach in that time.

Things took a turn for the better in the next hour when another Ide and four roach made the virtual net. I was still catching them on maggots.

Although there was only one other angler on the lake I wasn't lonely as I had these two for company all day long.


The leger rod had been silent all day. Experience from the last couple of years at this time of the season told me not worry. When a bite did come it would be a good one. At 13:40 I was proved right when the alarm went off and so did the fish. Unfortunately I lost it almost straight away. I was not a happy bunny.

By 13:40 my total for the day had risen to 23 with the addition of 2 rudd, 1 bream and 8 roach.

Around this time I decided to forego the maggots and have a go with corn. Well for the first hour after it worked a treat - on rudd anyway. Six made the virtual net in that time.

About 16:00 I cast the waggler up the adjoining tree and decided at that point that I would pack up that rod and concentrate on the leger rod.

This fellow came to try his luck on my unused bait.


While I was watching the tip there was an almighty splash directly in front of me. So much so that it made me jump out of my skin. After I few seconds I saw it was this fellow.


At 16:30 with my total on 29 for the day I decided it was time to pack up. To be truthful I was freezing!


No comments:

Post a Comment