Wednesday 18 April 2018

2018 6 April 3rd Chittenden, Edenbridge, Kent

Today was going to be my first visit of the year to the club's carp water at Chittenden near Edenbridge in Kent.

It was about 8:10 when I arrived at the fishery. The car park was empty so I had a choice of swims. As this was my first visit of the year I decided to load up the trolley and head off down to the dam end of the lake where my favourite swim was.

As I got to the bank I saw that the water level was very high and that the water was extremely coloured. Having seen the same at Boulthurst Farm a few weeks back I feared the worst.

When I arrived at my swim I was taken aback by some of the alterations that had been done. Nearly all the bank side trees had been cut down including the overhanging one that I used to fish under. Also a lot of the vegetation behind me had been removed. On the plus side the new boarding around the swims was much better than the old slippery platforms.



It was the usual two rod attack today, the feeder and my Shimano float rod replacing my match rod as there are some big ones in here!




I was set up and ready to make my first casts at 9:10.

On the waggler rod I started with a size 18 hook with 2 maggots. I fed two or three maggots every subsequent cast to ensure a trickle of feed went into the swim. A the end of the first hour the only occupants of the virtual net were 3 skimmer bream.

Another hour passed with only two more bream making the net. I did see one or two carp jumping in the distance so that raised my spirits somewhat.

The next hour and the bream kept coming although this time they were joined by a solitary roach.

Between 12 and 1pm I decided to switch hook baits from maggot to corn. Nothing showed any interest at all.

I was back on the maggots for the next hour. Seemed to work as three roach and two bream made the net. The feeder rod was silent.

I tried corn again for the next hour but once more the landing net remained dry.

From 15:10 to 17:15 when I packed up the waggler rod produced just one more roach however the feeder rod's buzzer sounded for the only time of the day. The result was a carp of 3lb or so.


I finished the day on 14 fish, a bit disappointing but that's life.


No comments:

Post a Comment