Sunday 15 March 2009

Line Deterioration - Problem For You?

On my latest session I attempted to use a reel with 4lb line that I had loaded onto it around June last year.

When I came to knot it the line snapped. I tried to pull it and it snapped so easily a slightly over sized gudgeon would have got free.

I think it was Maxima line as all the rest of my lines are.

Is this normal behaviour?

Here are some comments I've received on the subject:

"I'm afraid that as far as I am concerned this is now normal behaviour for Maxima line although some people say they don't have a problem with it. I find it lasts just a few sessions then has a catastrophic failure in strength. Just search on the forums and you will see many threads with similar comments."

"Ive used maxima for a couple of years with no problems.Bear in mind (sorry if you already know this) that mono will degrade in UV light and with exposure to heat so be careful how you store it. I would always discard the last few metres after a session too - it might just be that the last bit was weakened."

Anyone care to add to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment