Thursday 26 March 2009

March 25th Mill Lake - Stubpond Again

The strong wind of the last few days was showing no sign of abating as I set off at 7:10 for Fellbridge for another session at Stubpond's Mill Lake.
Based on the experience gained from the last few outings I formulated a plan to target the silver fish until about noon when I would swtch tactics because I believed the carp would move into the swim around then.

I arrived at 8am on the dot only to find that the gates were still shut. "Good start", I thought. Anyway a few minutes later someone arrived and the we were let in. Yes another car was there - almost a rush by Stubpond standards. After parking the car I went over to pay my day ticket and was met by the owner and the bailiff looking not to happy. Turned out the place had been broken into overnight. A fair amount of damage was done but the biggest loss as far as I could see was the quad bike. They had broken into the shed and stolen it. Not a lot I could do other than offer my sympathy so I got out of the way and went to the swim.

I chose the same swim and tactics as the previous Monday.

2 balls of goroundbait and 4 handfuls of hemp were placed in the swim. The tactics were to throw half a dozen maggots in with every cast to compliment the single maggot on the hook. Plus every hour I would feed another ball of groundbait and a handful or two of hemp to keep the swim alive.

First cast yielded a roach. Until 11:45 I caught a good head of fish on the maggot including roach, rudd, bream, crucian carp, perch and the wonderful gudgeon. Highlight of the morning was this 2lb bream.


At noon I switched to meat as the hook bait but kept the same feeding pattern, the only difference being I loose fed some cubes of meat. I caught several carp the best of which were these 2: a nice 4lb mirror and a 3lb common.





The weather was very windy all day with the occasional light shower and a couple of heavy ones although to be fair when the sun came out and the wind died down it was quite comfortable.

Packed up at 16:30 after catch 28 fish. Not a bad day at all.

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment