Sunday 15 March 2009

March 13th Mill Lake Stubpond, Felbridge,Surrey

What a difference 48 hours makes at this time of year. The weather was sunny and warm when I loaded the car up for the return visit to Mill Lake.

First problem was a traffic jam at Whyteleafe which delayed me 20 minutes or so, not a good omen I thought.

I finally arrived around 9am and set up in the same swim as the Wednesday with exactly the same setup.

Single maggot and size 18 hook.

After groundbaiting with a ball of brown crumb, hemp, maggots and sweetcorn and even more maggots I cast out to the edge of the reed bed (about a rod length or so).

Here's a view of Mill Lake looking away from the car park.

Within minutes the float disappearred and out came a 2lb carp! I was expecting a roach or something similar. The rise in temprature obviously had brought them to life.

The morning followed the pattern of the Wednesday with some silver fish (roach and perch) plus the occasional carp, the majority all on single maggot. No action at all on meat or sweetcorn.

Unlike Wednesday there was a lot more activity from the carp however I did manage to lose 6 good ones, 4 shook the hook and 2 dived into the reed bed before I could turn them!

I moved up from size 18 to size 14 hooks via size 16 as the silver fish disappeared and the carp took over.

Meat seemed to work well in the afternoon.

By 4pm it was time to go which coincided with the largest fish of the day coming to the net. A shade under 5lb!

The weather was great all day apart from a 10 minute shower around 11am.

Incident of the day was having the reel fall into the pond whilst playing a carp. Luckily for me the line tangled on the reel so I was able to retrieve it, untangle the line, put the reel back on the rod and land the fish! Another lesson learned - check the reel fastening every now and then.

Back to work Monday.

Looking forward to fishing some commercials during the forthcoming months until the 16th June.

No comments:

Post a Comment