Friday 26 March 2010

November 14th - Dunks Pond, Holland, Surrey

The weather was fine but heavily overcast with very little wind when I made my to the club's pond in Holland, just outside Oxted in Surrey.

Having come to the end of my 'carp' season for the year I decided to give this pond a go using standard 'winter' tactics, maggot and bread and small hooks.

The pond was empty so I had the pick of the swims which was good considering I'd never fished the venue before. It's the club lake that juniors can use so I tend to keep away during the summer months.

I made my way round the pond until I found a swim with lily pads directly in front of me that I thought I would be able to fish to.

Remembering the old maxim, "little and often" I hadn't brought any groundbait, just some bread and a pint of maggots. I set up my float rod with a 2bb float, 4lb main line and a size 18 hook to 3lb hooklength.

I was now ready to start.

In went 3 or 4 magggots and out came a small roach! Lovely.

For the next 2 hours or so I caught roach after roach on maggots and bread plus the occasional perch.

After making such a good start, the day then turned totally crap as the heavens opened and the biggest rainstorm of the year decided to pay a visit to Surrey.

The main problem was that I was fishing on a platform and had no where to stick the umbrella in! I have now managed to get an umbrella holder attachment for my box!

Although getting wetter by the minute I was still catching a fish a cast however by 2pm the rain was showing no signs of abating and as I was shivering like mad so I decided to call it a day for the session and as it turned out the year.

I will return to Dunks Pond some time in the furture for a 'proper' session.

Sorry no photos available as the batteries went in my camera as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment