Sunday 23 May 2010

April 28th - Silver Lake Gabriels Fishery, Edenbridge Kent

This was my first visit to the fishery for a couple of years.

The fishery is approximately 20 miles from my house - I misjudged the timing of the drive and so arrived at the fishery 10 minutes after opening!

To my surprise there was already 5 cars in the car park and a further 2 by the far gate. I was not used to such crowds!

I made my way to Silver Lake, which is the complex's match lake. Depending on choice of swim it could also be the longest walk!

As luck would have it nobody was on this lake so I had the choice of swims. It had been a while since I'd fished the lake so I couldn't remember important details like which end was the deep end and which end was the shallow end.

I eventually ended up in a swim that seemed to me to have the shortest distance to the island and importantly a nice reed bed in the margins a rod length or two down from the fishing platform.


Just after 8:00am I fed my groundbait (bread crumb plus a smll oferring of meat and corn) and about a half pint of hemp.

I started off on single maggot and was immediately into 3 nice bream however as the first hour drew to a close I only added 2 roach and a gudgeon to the total.

Around 10am I started to feed the margins swim with 2 or 3 pellets every 15 minutes or so.

By 10:30 my virtual net had grown to include 2 more Gudgeon, 3 Roach and 2 good sized Rudd (for me that is!).

The next hour was as successful as the last (!), 3 Gudgeon, 2 Roach but 2 better Bream (still skimmers but a little larger than those I caught at the beginning of the session).

Around noon these fellas paid me a visit:



At 12:25 I finally caught my first carp of the session, it was around 3lb and fell to a single piece of sweetcorn.

I kept perserving with the swim which to be honest I did begin to think I should have been in the deeper water. By 15:00 I had 3 more small Bream, a Roach and a 3lb Common Carp out of the margin swim on meat!



I tried the margins swim again at 4pm and had an immediate bite but when I should have given some more line I thought I could hold it and promptly lost it.......... another lesson learnt - do not be a hurry!

Three more fairly good Roach fell to sweetcorn before I landed a 3lb Mirror Carp from my original swim.

Overall a good day but I need to go more often so as to learn the water.

1 comment:

  1. Been there myself just lately , did get very busy for a Thursday afternoon, bit suspect on the stocking of lakes I know when myself and Brother in law did a walk around just after the thaw earlier in the year the Manager was in process of restocking, after fishing the nearest lake to car park it seems a lot of nursery fish with only a few full grown are spread in each lake just to keep interest up.he seems to do a lot of moving I am told ??

    ReplyDelete