Sunday 9 May 2010

March 31st - Mill Lake, Stubpond, Felbridge Surrey

As March drew to a close so did my annual leave. I don't like going on Bank Holidays and the like for fear of the crowds so today was the last day I would go before returning to work on April 6th.

The rain and wind was the worst I can remember but it did let up enough for me to set up in reasonable comfort. I decided straight away that it was the feeder rod, small bomb and 10mm boillies to the island all day.



When I paid my money the owner called me "The saddest man in South Norwood!" (the name of my club). Charming.

After setting up I tried to put my umbrella up - now this wasn't as simple as it sounds. The wind which was very strong was coming in from my right and so I had to tilt the unbrella towards the wind to give me some sort of shelter.

Despite the bad weather the fish were hungry - this mirror carp was landed at 8:21:



This common came in at 10:22:



Dead on noon I landed this specimen:



The strength of the wind was so great that every now and again the umbrella threatened to leave and head off down the bank. I had to hold it with one hand will concentrating on the tip of the rod.

As luck would have it eventually I got a bite and as I was playing the fish a fierce gust of wind blew the umbrella into the hedge. OK, I thought it's safe enough there. Still not landed the fish and the umbrella heads down the bank. After landing and unhooking the fish I see the umbrella head off onto the lake.

I put the fish back and raced off down the bank. The umbrella, upside down now was caught in some reeds almost within touching distance of the bank. However, even with a long landing net all I could succeed in doing was turning it right side up and digging it into the bottom so that only the last 6 inches or so was showing.

Despondently, wet and cold I made my way to the bailiffs hut to tell him that there was an umbrella in his lake. We agreed that if he could get it out (when the weather got better) he would save it for me.

I returned to my swim and fished for an hour or so in the rain when the bailiff came round with a rake on a rope and we managed after some effort to retrieve my umbrella! Lovely jubbley.

At the end of another wierd and very uncomfortable day I had 9 carp, with the biggest being a 5lb common all on 10mm boillies fished about a yard from the island. I was the only one on the complex (not surprising really).

No comments:

Post a Comment