Sunday 28 August 2011

2011 22 July 8th Boulthurst Farm, Oxted, Surrey

Today was going to be my second visit of the year to Boulthurst Farm. The first had been way back in early March.

The weather conditions should have been completely different - it was warmer that's for sure.

I arrived at the pond a little after 6 to find the car park empty. Having the choice of swims (there are only 5) I chose my favourite, the one under the big tree to the right as you go in.

I set up one rod to fish under the overhanging tree with halibut 10ml boillies and the other I setup to fish the open water about 15 yards to my left


My first cast was at 6:50. Normally it takes about an hour for the carp to find the bait and so it proved today when the buzzer sounded for the first time at  7:42. A five pound common. Good start.

The first carp fell to the halibet boillie rod as did the second and third. The aforementioned second carp arrived 40 minutes after the first. This one was a lot smaller - a one pounder in fact but hey they all count. 

Strangely for this venue the hour between 9am and 10am was completely devoid of any action. I harboured thoughts of a possible slow day but at 10:05 a 4lb common with a liking for halibut turned up.

For the next 30 minutes or so the tutti fruitti boilies took over. Two carp of around a pound came in along with a roach of about 0.5lb.

Forty minutes of inactivity was followed by at 11:21 a crucian of about 0.5lb on the halibut rod. My first one on boillies.

The two hour lunch time period saw the halibut line go quiet but lucky for me the tutti fruitti one came alive again, three fish - 2 commons of around 2lb and one about 4.5lb.

At 14:30 I caught another roach, this time on the halibut boillie. My penultimate roach of the session.
From three pm until six I caught about 2 fish an hour. One of them was a mirror, all the rest were commons. All but one were on tutti fruitti. 

The last hour produced three fish, 2 commons of around 3lb on halibut and 1 roach on tutti fruitti.


So in the end quite a satisfying session. It was a bit of a shame that the larger carp didn't show though. 

I can't go without mentioning the weather, it rained heavily most of the day. For this summer not surprising though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment