Saturday 3 September 2011

2011 23 July 10th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge, Kent

Today was my first Sunday afternoon/evening session at the club's Nursery Fields fishery.

I'd fished peg 1 on my two previous visits so this time I made my mind up to try a different swim where maybe I could catch one of the carp that had so far eluded me.

I arrived around 15:30 and after gathering half my stuff up I made the first of two journeys to my swim. I started at peg 1 and made my way around and up the far bank. I was searching for a swim with some lily pads that I could fish to without the need to cast 100 miles. Peg 13 seemed to fill my requirements so I dropped my gear and went back for the other half.


I mixed up the usual groundbait mix and fed the swim accordingly. I also set up and cast out the feeder rod with a small bomb and a 10ml tutti fruitti pellet attached. This would be my sleeper for the session.

I made my first cast at 16:25. I cast over the lillies and drew the float in as close I could. I loose fed some grains of corn and sat back and waited for the action to begin.

I didn't have to wait long for the float to disappear. However as soon as I put some strain on it the line above the float snapped. On inspection I discovered that the next few yards of line had disintegrated. Considering the line was only a few weeks old I wasn't very happy. Anyway rant over.

It was over an hour later when I got my second bite of the session - this time on the feeder rod. There were no problems getting this one to the net - a tench of about 0.5lb.

At 18:00 the float disappeared and the moment I had been waiting for arrived - I was into my first Nursery Fields carp! Strangely and lucky for me it shot away from the lily pads and into the middle of the lake. I could feel it was a good fish (by my standards) however at the back of my mind was the fragility of the line. As it turned out everything was ok and I managed to land a 5lb common. 

Apart from 3 small roach that was the last fish I caught on the float rod set up. Perhaps the fight with the carp had spooked the remaining fish - who knows.
At 19:30 the tip went round and I was into my first Nursery Fields carp on the feeder rod. A few minutes later a nice 3lb common was on the bank.


Eight minutes later and the tip went round again and in came another 3lb'er. Things were looking good.

I was on a roll now - another 8 minutes (strange I know but that's how it went) later the tip shot round again and this time it was a nice 5lb'er. See photo below.


It was 20:20 when I caught the next one - a 4lber.

All in all a good session apart from the line incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment