Saturday 19 April 2014

2014 05 April 4th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

To start April off I thought I would make a return visit to Nursery Fields. Assuming I had choice of swims I was going to go back to my favorite, the one at the top of the lake. 

As usual I left home at 6:30 and arrived at the fishery just after 7am. I wasn't the first as there was one other car in the car park. After loading up the trolley I made my way up the lake towards my swim. The other angler was in the corresponding swim at the bottom of the lake. 


It was the normal plan for this swim today, one waggler line about midway between the bank and the island and a feeder line fished as tight as I could manage to the far reed bed. 

I was set up and ready by 8.05. On the waggler rod I started with single maggot. On the feeder rod I started with a 10mm monster crab boillie.

As it turns out I had a terrific first hour. On the waggler I had 7 roach and a tench. On the feeder I had a tench and a carp of 3lb 2ozs. A great start to the day.

The next hour was similar to the first except that the feeder rod didn't produce anything. The waggler however produced 3 bream, 1 tench and 5 roach. All going well!

After catching another two roach I decided to try corn. This was a bad decision as I didn't so much as have a tickle!

For the next hour I switched back to maggot and the fish started coming again, 1 tench, 1 bream and 5 roach. The feeder rod also chipped in with a small barbel.

Back to corn again for another hour and yet again zero results. The feeder rod did spring to life though with this carp of 3lb 2oz.


Change of tactics again just after lunch. This time I thought I would give bread flake a go. This change was by today's standards a success. Three skimmer bream and a tench made the virtual net. 

Back on the maggot again for the next hour, This time I added eight fish to the net. For the first time today I caught a barbel and a gudgeon, accompanying these were 6 roach. One of the roach was taken by the reeds close to my left. 

The reed bed to my left has in the past been very productive for me. So every time I caught a fish I threw 2 or 3 pieces of corn close to the reeds. At around 4pm I dropped the float with a big bit of bread flake on the hook close to the reeds. Within seconds it went away and I was in. Boy, did it run. I was only on 4lb line and 2.5lb hook length so I let it run and run. First it went to the left and then over to the right, each time skirting the reeds on the far bank. When it came to the surface I saw it was a cracker! Eventually I had it in the net. It was a nice carp of 9lb 6ozs. 


The following two hours were very lean in terms of fish caught. Three roach, a bream and a tench bought my day to close for a total of 48 fish. A personal best carp for the season so the day can only be called a success.



No comments:

Post a Comment