Monday 21 April 2014

2014 07 April 17th Nursery Fields, Edenbridge

I decided to take the day before Easter off and head out to the club's premier fishery at Nursery Fields for probably my last visit of the current club season.

I was up at 5am and out of the house by 5:45. The weather was good for the time of day as I made my way to Edenbridge.

It wasn't a surprise when I arrived at the fishery to find the car park empty. I loaded up the trolley and made my way up to my peg. The lake looked great, it had a slight mist covering it which I guess would disappear as soon as the sun gathered some more strength. 


I was going to fish the same swim as I did on my last visit. I was also going to use the same tactics. A waggler line halfway across and a feeder line close to the reeds lining the island. 

I made my first casts at 7.20 am. On the waggler rod I started, as usual with a single maggot. It didn't take too long for the float to dip and I was into the first of seven roach which I caught in the first hour. 

The feeder rod wasn't quiet either. The tactic of using PVA mesh with a combination of halibut pellets and some monster crab boillies was paying off. I lost two carp before finally netting the third. A specimen of 7 lb 10 ozs. A good start to the day.


I switched to corn on the waggler rod but to avail, they weren't interested. The PVA mesh was still working though, this time a barbel took the bait.

The time had moved onto 10:30 and I was back on the maggots. The fish were not having it today, just two small roach made the net this time.

The next hour I drew a blank on the waggler however the feeder rod chipped in with the first tench of the day.

The following hour was all about the feeder rod, three fish came in, two more tench and a small barbel. 

Over the lunch period I added another 5 fish to the virtual net. Yet again the waggler rod yielded very little, the first bream of the day and a small roach. The feeder rod chipped in with 2 more tench and another barbel.

The rest of the afternoon followed the same pattern. Bites were hard to come by and there were long periods of inactivity. By 17:15 I'd only added another 2 roach.

These two kept me amused during the long spells of inactivity.


The feeder rod however had been quite busy, 3 more fish, another small tench was joined by a couple of carp, one of 4 lbs exactly and the other coming in at 3 lbs 15 ozs.

With 45 minutes to go in my day I decided to try my luck by the reeds to my left. I first tried bread flake but never got a touch. I switched to maggot and managed to get 3 tench and 5 roach.

My total for the day was 32, not a bad haul in the end. Peter the bailiff said that everyone was having trouble that day so perhaps it was just one of those times when the fish didn't want to play ball!


No comments:

Post a Comment