Sunday 27 April 2014

2014 08 April 24th Chittenden, Edenbridge

Today was going to be my last visit for this season to the club's carp lake at Chittenden. My last visit had yielded a personal best carp so what would today bring, that was the question.

I arrived at the fishery around 6:10 or so. There was one other car there so I quickly checked to see where he was. As it happens he was at the top end of the lake. I planned to fish the swim at the bottom so no problem there.

When I arrived at the swim I noticed that all the vegetation behind and to my left had all been removed. What was the point of that?  


I was set and ready by about 7:10. The first rod to be cast was the feeder. I then set about positioning the chair, box and rod rests etc for the float rod. I didn't have a chance to finish before the buzzer went off. I knew straight away it wasn't a carp. When it came in I saw it was a bream which went 2 lb 4 ozs when weighed. A good start to the day.


When I was finally ready to cast in with the float rod I made a decision to start on bread flake rather than the single maggot. I didn't have to wait long for the float to go under. The result a carp of 6 lb 1 oz. 


The first hour ended with a small skimmer with a liking for bread. I felt at this stage that I was in for a good day.

I stayed on bread for the next hour or so and was rewarded with two carp, the first went 5 lb 10 oz and the second was a couple of ounces bigger at 5 lb 12 oz. Three small skimmers also made the virtual net.

Things slowed down considerably during the next hour. I only netted one small bream. 

As things had slowed down somewhat I decided to change baits from bread to corn. Again it was slow going. I did manage a couple of skimmer bream though.

The lunch hour was even worse, the float never moved. The feeder buzzer did go off but only for a small skimmer bream.

The afternoon session was very dire, from 12:40 until 16:20 I only caught two fish, both of them bream. The first was on the float the second, the larger of the two at 2 lb 6 ozs came on the feeder. During this time I also switched baits to meat.

The last two hours weren't completely barren. I did manage to hook two carp but couldn't land either. The first I lost when it went under the pallet and the second spate the hook when I tightened up the clutch too soon. 

I was so inactive in the afternoon that I heard a fellow angler on the other bank ask his mate if he'd seen the guy in the corner move as I think he could be dead!

I finished the day on 14 fish, not the return I was hoping for. The lake is closed now until June 1st so I will have to wait until then to have another crack at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment