Sunday 26 June 2016

2016 10 May 6th Swallow Lake, Gabriel's Farm, Edenbridge

Today was going to be my first visit of the year to Gabriels Fishery, just outside of Edenbridge in Kent.

The fishery opens at 7 am so I didn't need to leave so early which was nice. The drive to the fishery was quiet and as I finally arrived at the top car park I found myself to be the first one there.

I unloaded the car and had a quick look around the lake before selecting my swim.


I can only use one rod here so it was just the waggler set up today. 6 mm pellets were going to be my main line of attack.

Just having the one rod to set up I was ready to feed my swim at around 7:45. First I fed three big balls of goundbait followed by a few handfuls of pellets. To help acuracy I'd cast the rod without any bait on into the area where I was going to fish. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the float had gone under while I was feeding the swim! The result was a 2 lb carp. No bait required!


I then settled down to a 'normal' days fishing. I fed 2 or 3 pellets every cast and this tactic seemed to pay off as I caught 9 small carp ranging from a few ounces to a pound in the first hour.

The next hour was even better, 10 small carp and a gudgeon. Was I on for one of those special days?

The improvemnt continued in the next hour. Fourteen small carp made the virtual net. The day's total now 34!

By noon I'd caught another ten carp which numerically was good however they were on average the smallest of the day so far.

The fishing slowed right down during the first hour of the afternoon so much so that I only caught 2!

By 14:00 I'd only added another three to the virtual net. Had I done anything wrong?

I decided at that point that my tactics needed changing. The plan for the rest of the day was to aleternate baits between corn and meat to see if I could bring them back on the feed.

It seemed to work as my total for the day when I packed up at 17:20 was 75 which included my best ever carp from this pond (5 lb 13 oz). It was caught on meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment