Monday 29 May 2017

2017 06 April 28th, Silver Lake, Gabriels Farm, Edenbridge

Today was going to be my first visit of the year to Gabriel's Farm Fishery on the outskirts of Edenbridge in Kent.

I've been to this venue many times in the past so it was a bit of a surprise that when I rang the bell the barrier did not go up straightaway. I tried again but with no more success than the first time. Then, out of the rear view window, I spotted the ticket lady strolling towards me. It transpired that they no longer walk around collecting the money but now do it as anglers enter the complex.

After the barrier went up I drove the mile from the entrance to the car park, scaring a few rabbits and pheasants as I went.

After I'd loaded the trolley I made my way to peg 2 on Silver Lake which was my choice of swim for today.


As I was only using one rod it didn't take me long to set up. I decided to use my match rod with a waggler float on 5lb line with a size 16 hook.

By 8am I was ready to make my first cast. Today, I'd decided to start the session on sweetcorn as I wanted to avoid the many small roach that inhabit this lake.

The action was non-existent. I wasn't even getting line bites. What was wrong? I was loose feeding pellets, hemp and corn in moderate amounts every hour and a a couple of cornels of corn every cast. Could that have been it?

With a dry net at noon I decided to forego the corn and switch to 6mm halibut pellets. Thirty two minutes later I'd bagged a carp of about 2lb.


By 13:00 I'd added a roach to the total which now stood at a miserly two! Not good at all.

I did, however, have this fellow for company all day long. He spent the day nicking my bait!


The next hour was considerably more productive. I managed two bream and two more small carp on crab pellets. Total for the day was now six.



I switched pellet flavour again, this time to tangerine dream. Over the next ninety minutes this only attracted one very small carp.


For the next hour I went back to the crab flavoured pellets and was rewarded with another small carp of about 1.5 lb. The time was 16:22 and I wasn't happy with the day.


At 17:23 I decided to pack up and call it a day. The last hour or so had yielded three carp, one small one and two very small ones (ounces rather pounds).


Eleven fish wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was the only one on the lake all day, do other people know something I don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment