Tuesday 30 May 2017

2017 07 May 7th Chittenden, Edenbridge, Kent

As we entered the month of May, traditionally the time of the club's spring shutdown, I decided to have another go at the carp lake at Chittenden. "It's closed" I hear you say - not this year it isn't. This year it is staying open to protect the fish from the predatory fish eating birds that can decimate a fishery.

This was also going to be my first afternoon/evening session of the year at this particular lake.

I arrived home from Junior Kickers at 11am. I sorted my tackle out, ate a very nice fry up and was on the road by noon.

I'd decided on the way there that I would forego my favourite swim and instead, try the one on the far side of the first island. I knew that I would be able to get a waggler quite close to the far bank.

When I arrived there weren't too many people there so I was confident of getting the swim I had planned on. Sure enough as I made my way down the path I could see that it was unoccupied.

It was going to be a two pronged attack today, a waggler fished close to the island and a small leger set up also fished tight to the island but a bit further away to the left.


I was set up and ready to make my first casts at 13:50. I started with crab flavoured pellets on the waggler and 6mm tutti fruitti boillies on the feeder rod.

The action was fast and furious from the start. Unfortunately it wasn't as successful as it sounded. Two of the first three bites I missed. I knew they were good ones as they both took line before spitting the hook. The third bite at 14:10 I managed to land, a nice carp of 9lb 3oz. I was chuffed.


It was a full hour before I caught my next fish, it was one of the lake's many bream.

Another hour passed and into the virtual net came another bream and a 10lb 10z carp. Another double I was on a roll!


For most of the session I had these little fellas for company:


I had to wait a further 2.5 hours for my next piece of action. When it came it was on the feeder rod. The result was a carp of 8lb 6oz. Life was good!


My last fish of the session turned up at 19:15 and was another bream.


I decided at that point to call it a day. Three carp, an 8, a 9 and a 10 plus three bream. I went home very satisfied with my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment