Sunday 9 July 2017

2017 09 May 14th Chittenden, Edenbridge, Kent

Today was going to be another Sunday afternoon/evening session at the club's carp lake at Chittenden.

There is a swim that I have never fished but always fancied and that is the first one on the top of the lake nearest to the car park. It has over-hanging trees, reed beds and looks very fishy.

It was just after noon when I arrived at the lake. I jumped out of the car (!) and headed through the trees to see if the swim was vacant. To my surprise it was and so were all the other swims on that bank. The only other anglers I could see were the ones on the disabled bank.


After I'd unloaded the gear and carried it to the swim, it was too close for the trolley, I saw that the water was covered in flotsam and jetsam and everything else that falls from the tree at this time of year.

There was no way I'd be able to float fish so it was to be the feeder rod and a cube of meat on a hair rig approach that I would have to adopt.

Having a simple setup meant that it didn't take me too long to be ready to make my first cast. It fact after leaving my house at noon I was fishing by 13:20. Nice!

I'd quite heavily fed the swim with meat, corn and some pellets as I wasn't expecting any serious action until the sun began to retreat.

While I was relaxing in my chair a small head popped out of the water in front of me and my first snake of the year then headed towards the reed bed. You can't help but have a shiver at that sight can you?

I got my first take at 15:37, it wasn't a monster but it was a carp. This was came in at around 2lb. I was away!


An hour later I'd landed another carp, This one was a bit better coming in at 7lb.


At 17:15 the tip went round again and I was into another carp. This one felt like it was a good one because the fight just went on and on. Eventually when it broke the surface I could see, by my standards, that it was a monster! I tried to remain calm as I finally guided it to the net. Once it was in I had to sit down to compose myself! Could this be a personal best? It certainly was a possibility.


Alas it was not to be as the fish came in at 17.5lb, close but no cigar. I was very pleased with it though.

What could possibly follow that? Well by the time I packed up which was 18:30 I'd caught a bream and another carp. This one coming in at 12lb 5oz! Two more doubles in one session. I was on a roll.



No comments:

Post a Comment